When you prepare to meet with a potential attorney for the first time in an employment matter, it is helpful to have the following five categories materials organized and ready for review:
- Any wage statements and paystubs. This helps identify the employer’s legal name and you may have wage and hour violations that you are not even aware of that your attorney may discover.
- Employee handbook and any policies and procedures provided to you by your employer.
- A timeline of events that occurred in the workplace that you believe are important.
- A list of witnesses, including first and last names and contact information, if you have it.
- Any photographs, text messages, emails or other communications that you believe are important to the facts of your case.